Contact details:Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +44(0)161-306-8652Postal address: 1.57 Rm | Humanities Bridgeford Street Building |The University of Manchester |Oxford Road | Manchester, M13 9PL |
Latest/selected academic works:
- "Climate Change and Housing", Nanda, A., (Forthcoming, Accepted/In press) in Gibb, K, Leishman, C, Marsh, A, Meen, G, Vitorj, R and Watkins, C (editors) International Handbook of Housing Economics. Routledge: London.
- "Digitalisation, Urbanisation and Urban-Rural Divide". Nanda, A., (Forthcoming, Accepted/In press) The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Urban and Regional Futures. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. Brears, R. (ed.). Palgrave Macmillan Ltd.
- "Proptech: Issues for the Future", Nanda, A., (Forthcoming, Accepted/In press) The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Urban and Regional Futures. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. Brears, R. (ed.). Palgrave Macmillan Ltd.
- "Examining Regional Asymmetries in Drivers of International Migration Flows". The Manchester School. (Forthcoming), Nanda, A. & Oladiran, O.
- "Asymmetric Patterns of Demand-Supply Mismatch in Real Estate". Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics (2022; 64, 440–472) Marcato, G. & Nanda, A.
- Guest Editor (A. Nanda), Special Issue Healthcare and Real Estate. The Journal of European Real Estate Research
- Foreign Investor Demand for Housing
- Commercial Real Estate Prices, Investor Sentiment & Liquidity
- Multi-dimensional Impacts of Infrastructure (ESRC IAA project, Principal Investigator)
- Benchmarking Real Estate Investment Performance: The Role of ESG Factors
- Changing Housing Preferences and Use of Home due to the Covid-19 Pandemic
- Technology, Urbanisation & Inequality
- Covid-19 Pandemic & Retail Real Estate
Anupam Nanda is Professor of Urban Economics & Real Estate (Full Professor/Chair in Real Estate), the University of Manchester, UK. He is also a member of the Board of the European Real Estate Society.
Anupam's research themes/sub-themes are: economics of property markets; regional and urban studies; household sentiment & behaviours; cross-border investment; Environment, Social & Governance (ESG) and technology issues in urban and property markets; impact of infrastructure projects.
Anupam holds UG, PG and PhD degrees in Economics, and he has almost fifteen years of experience as a researcher, educator and consultant. Prior to joining Manchester, he was at the University of Reading (2010-19), and worked in non-academic roles at Deloitte and the National Association of Home Builders (US).
His academic papers have been published in several top international journals e.g. Journal of Urban Economics, Regional Studies, Energy Economics, Energy Policy, Manchester School, Real Estate Economics, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Town Planning Review, Applied Linguistics, Review of International Economics, Journal of Portfolio Management, World Economy, Journal of Real Estate Research etc.
His works have been sponsored by both UK and international public and private funding bodies and companies e.g. UKRI, Investment Property Forum (IPF), Real Estate Research Institute (RERI) in USA, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Anupam has undertaken research projects or supervised doctoral works related to several countries - United States, United Kingdom, India, Greece and other EU countries, Panama, Cyprus, UAE (Dubai), Malaysia, China.
- (Nov 2019 - present): Professor of Urban Economics & Real Estate (Chair in Real Estate), University of Manchester, UK.
- (Aug 2017 - Oct 2019): Professor of Urban Economics & Real Estate, Henley Business School/University of Reading, UK.
- Research Division Lead/Director of Research, Real Estate & Planning;
- Director, MSc Real Estate Finance (fulltime).
- (Oct 2013 - Jul 2017): Associate Professor in Real Estate Economics, Henley Business School/University of Reading, UK.
- Director, MSc Real Estate (flexible/blended learning).
- (Jan 2010 - Sep 2013): Lecturer, Henley Business School/University of Reading, UK
- (Apr 2008 - Nov 2009): Deloitte Intelligence, Deloitte & Touche, Mumbai, India
- (Apr 2006 - Apr 2008): Senior Research Economist, National Association of Home Builders, Washington DC, USA
Education: PhD in Economics, University of Connecticut, USA, 2006; MSc in Economics, University of Calcutta, India; BSc (Hons) in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, St Xavier's College, Kolkata, India.
- FRSA - Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. (The Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce)
- FRGS - Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. (The Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers)
- FHEA - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
Other Professional Membership:
- American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association;
- Urban Economics Association;
Current and recent PhD and postdoctoral team members:
Current PhD candidates in real estate and urban economics:
- Xiaodan Liu, Topic: "Multidimensional Impacts and Implementation of Infrastructure in The Post-Industrial Society" (first supervisor/University of Manchester, with Dr Sotirios Thanos)
- Rong Wang, Topic: "Cross-Border Real Estate Investment Preferences" (first supervisor/University of Manchester, with Dr Eero Valtonen)
- Siqi Huang, Topic: ESG performance and real estate investment (first supervisor/University of Manchester, with Dr Eero Valtonen)
- Jonathan Wood, Topic: Changing Market Structure of the Food and Drink Industry (second supervisor/University of Manchester, with Dr Sotirios Thanos)
Dr Steffen Heinig (PhD completed in 2019) "Essays on Sentiment: An Analysis of the Commercial Real Estate Market" (first supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Liverpool John Moores University
Dr Fangchen Zhang (PhD completed in 2020) "Implications of Investors’ Heterogeneity for the Commercial Real Estate Market - An Analysis of the UK Market" (co-supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Northumbria University
Dr Olayiwola O. Oladiran (PhD completed in 2020) "Essays on Migration and Housing" (first supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Sheffield University
Dr Shuai Shi (PhD completed in 2018) "The Convergence of Geo-Space and Network Space in City Region Development in China: taking the Mid-Yangtze River City Region as an example"; (co-supervisor/University of Reading). employed at University of Hong Kong
Dr Linning Zhu (PhD completed in 2016) "House Price Dynamics in Contemporary Urban China"; (co-supervisor/University of Reading)
Dr Dimitra Kavarnou (PhD completed in 2015) “The Housing Markets of the Greek Islands”; (first supervisor, University of Reading) employed at Neapolis University Pafos
Dr Jia-Huey Yeh (PhD completed in 2015) “Regional House Price Dynamics in Taiwan”; (first supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics