Assessment of dental anxiety using modified dental anxiety scale among adults with cleft lip and/or palate

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Objectives This study aimed to investigate dental anxiety levels among adults with cleft lip and/or palate (CL/P) and compare to adults with no orofacial cleft. The study also intended to find out the impact of cleft severity, gender and age on the perceived dental anxiety. Methods The study was composed of a sample of 70 adult participants who received and completed dental treatments. After sending self-addressed envelopes with consent forms and Modified Dental Anxiety Scale (MDAS) to 192 potential participants, 35 participants with CL/P (CL/P group) and 35 participants with no CL/P (control group), agreed to participate. Data were analysed using Mann–Whitney U test. A two-tailed P-value < 0.05 was considered as statistically significant. Results 54.3% of adults with CL/P (23 females and 12 males, age range from 16 to 72 years) reported normal dental anxiety, while the remaining 45.7% reported moderate dental anxiety. No extreme dental anxiety were recorded in the CL/P group. These results were similar to the control group and there were no significant differences between groups (p > 0.05). Female participants recorded higher median anxiety scores than male participants in the CL/P group, and participants with cleft lip had higher median scores than participants with cleft lip and palate. However, these were not statistically significant. Conclusion The results suggest that CL/P did not affect dental anxiety levels for participants with the CL/P as there were no extreme cases and their results were comparable to a general non-cleft sample.
Original languageEnglish
JournalThe Saudi Dental Journal
Publication statusPublished - 27 Apr 2021


  • Adult
  • Cleft lip
  • Dental anxiety
  • Oral health


Dive into the research topics of 'Assessment of dental anxiety using modified dental anxiety scale among adults with cleft lip and/or palate'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this