Bone turnover predicts change in volumetric bone density and bone geometry at the radius in men

Stephen Pye, Kate A Ward, Michael J Cook, Michaël R Laurent, Evelien Gielen, Herman Borghs, Judith E Adams, Steven Boonen, Dirk Vanderschueren, Frederick C. Wu, Terence O'Neill

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Purpose
To determine prospective change in bone density and geometry at the radius in men, and examine the influence of bone turnover markers and sex hormones on that change.

Methods
Men aged 40-79 years were recruited from population registers in Manchester (UK) and Leuven (Belgium). At baseline, markers of bone formation (P1NP and Osteocalcin) and resorption (β-cTX and ICTP ) were assessed. Total and bioavailable testosterone, and oestradiol were also measured. Peripheral quantitative computed tomography (pQCT) was used to scan the radius at distal and midshaft sites at baseline and a median of 4.3 years later.

Results
514 men, mean (SD) age 59.6 (10.5) years, contributed data. At the midshaft site there was a significant decrease in mean cortical volumetric BMD (vBMD) (-0.04%/year), bone mineral content (BMC) (-0.1%/year) and cortical thickness (-0.4%/year), whilst total and medullary area increased (+0.5%/year, +2.4%/year, respectively). At the distal radius, total vBMD declined (-0.5%/year) and radial area increased (+0.6%/year). Greater plasma concentrations of bone resorption and formation markers were associated with greater decline in BMC and cortical area at the midshaft and total vBMD at the distal site. Increased bone resorption was linked with an increase in total and medullary area and decrease in cortical thickness at the midshaft. Sex hormone levels were unrelated to change in pQCT parameters.

Conclusions
Age-related changes in vBMD and bone geometry are greater in men with higher biochemical markers of bone turnover at baseline. Sex hormones have little influence on change in pQCT parameters.



Mini abstract
Peripheral quantitative computed tomography scans of the distal and mid-shaft radius were performed in 514 European men aged 40-79 years at baseline and a median of 4.3 years later. Age-related changes in vBMD and bone geometry were greater in men with higher biochemical markers of bone turnover at baseline.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)935-944
Number of pages10
JournalOsteoporosis International
Volume28
Issue number3
Early online date4 Nov 2016
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Mar 2017

Keywords

  • Osteoporosis, Epidemiology, Ageing, Peripheral Quantitative Computer Tomography, Bone turnover

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Bone turnover predicts change in volumetric bone density and bone geometry at the radius in men'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this