Evaluation of methods for measuring particulate matter emissions from gas turbines

Andreas Petzold, Richard Marsh, Mark Johnson, Michael Miller, Yura Sevcenco, David Delhaye, Amir Ibrahim, Paul Williams, Heidi Bauer, Andrew Crayford, William D. Bachalo, David Raper

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


    The project SAMPLE evaluated methods for measuring particle properties in the exhaust of aircraft engines with respect to the development of standardized operation procedures for particulate matter measurement in aviation industry. Filter-based off-line mass methods included gravimetry and chemical analysis of carbonaceous species by combustion methods. Online mass methods were based on light absorption measurement or used size distribution measurements obtained from an electrical mobility analyzer approach. Number concentrations were determined using different condensation particle counters (CPC). Total mass from filter-based methods balanced gravimetric mass within 8% error. Carbonaceous matter accounted for 70% of gravimetric mass while the remaining 30% were attributed to hydrated sulfate and noncarbonaceous organic matter fractions. Online methods were closely correlated over the entire range of emission levels studied in the tests. Elemental carbon from combustion methods and black carbon from optical methods deviated by maximum 5% with respect to mass for low to medium emission levels, whereas for high emission levels a systematic deviation between online methods and filter based methods was found which is attributed to sampling effects. CPC based instruments proved highly reproducible for number concentration measurements with a maximum interinstrument standard deviation of 7.5%. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)3562-3568
    Number of pages6
    JournalEnvironmental Science and Technology
    Issue number8
    Publication statusPublished - 15 Apr 2011


    Dive into the research topics of 'Evaluation of methods for measuring particulate matter emissions from gas turbines'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this